Anyone here willing to help me test my project?

• Hi,

You can check a preview of my project at: http://larryo.org/work/information/unimap/index.html

I started this project back in 2004 as I realize that more and more people get into astrophotography but most will go no further then framing nice pictures. So I thought that it will be good to have a simple to use tool to allow amateur astronomers to do plate-solving(detect and match your image against star catalogs), so they can explore and learn more about these marvelous images so I started to develop this project. Now after literally tens of thousands of development hours you can just load your astrophoto and in a few clicks learn almost everything is known about your image, what are the stars, galaxies, nebulas, radio sources, x-ray/gamma bursts, supernovas, extra solar planets or asteroids, comets and even artificial earth satellites passing through. Also, you can get more advanced information like various measurements available (including spectral) and links to articles/abstracts talking about objects and/in that area in the sky.

On top of that I added several tool to help amateur astronomer to better plan his observing session like an on click collection of environmental/weather data, instruments management/control and also an online collaboration interface to allow amateur astronomers to easily exchange/review the data.

Anyone interested to help me test it and/or feedback will be appreciated!

Larry

• Hallo Larry,
    I took a short look on your website. It is very impressive! Since i am not doing astrophotograpy i am not the one to test your software. But I was always missing the step from the nice pictures to the information about the many stars and objects. I am sure there are a lot of people to appreciate your work!
    greetings marty

• There is something else I want to add … my future plans with this project is to release it free and opensource (for windows, linux and perhaps macosx)… if all goes well, I mean if people show interest in it and it’s workable and from there I might be looking for sponsorship at some point to support a big central database though which amateur astronomers from all over the world can share image resolved with astrometry data etc. So maybe now you can also understand what am I doing here as well … :)

Also, I am working now to convert the code to unicode so it will support various translations and if someone here whishes to help me with the translation as well that will be great!

Larry

• Larry,

this is a very interesting project. I really like to test it and maybe I can also support you with the translation, but not before the next month I suppose.
    Sometimes I have a timegap between the "Have-to" and the "Want-to" [;)]

I will contact you via your website, when I got the time to test the project, this will be before end of the month.[8D]

Ei,ei,ei.... was hatte ich denn in meiner alten Signatur stehen?

sternengedönsige clear sky Grüsse,

Robert aus dem Allgäu

• I apologize for the delay as my life got slightly complicated lately.
    You can download and test the very first pre-alpha release from here:

http://larryo.org/work/informa…st0/unimap_setup_pa_0.exe

I know there are still bugs and room for of improvements, optimization, etc. "Unfortunately" I have built this application so big and I got so little time lately that I should probably focus on getting the core functionality working right and here any suggestions and ideas will really help.

It is compiled on XP. On windows 7 you might encounter crashes (mostly due to file/io permissions) – I will get them fixed as soon as I will get some time.

Larry

• Hi Larry, just downloaded your quite impressing project and run it first to view all your features.
    Before that i found astrometry.net... even very impressing.
    where to get those star catalogs?
    thanks matz

• Hi Matz,

In options->catalogs for everycatalog you can download. But is not necesary to download them the application knows automatically to use the remote catalogs (mostly via vizier) if not availabe localy.

Larry

• This piece of software is just
    <h1>amazing!</h1>

Using a hint one gets rapid and nice fits and a lot of catalog data overlayed.

Did not manage loading Canon RAW format from a Canon 350D. The images displayed are uniformously gray. JPEGs work fine.

Hartwig

• same to me just great, found my position near pluto...
    thanks a lot.
    It would be great if it could save the identified exposure as fully oriented fits file to integrate in guide8 or similar.
    cs matz

• <b><font size="3">Great Software!!</font id="size3"></b>

Hi Larry,
    your project is on top of my personal list of usefull astronomy software.

For german translation I'm willing to help you.

Kalle

• Hallo Larry, hallo Diskutanden,

Der Astrotreff is ein deutschsprachiges Forum. Zum Lesen / Schreiben englischsprachiger Beitraege ist es besser ein entsprechendes Forum z.B. 'cloudynights' aufzusuchen. Viele Leser koennen von einer in (Fach)Englisch gefuehrten Diskussion nichts profitieren.

The Astrotreff is a German language forum. To read / post English language topics, please consider to use an English language forum (i.e. 'cloudynights') A lot of potential readers will not be able to follow and benefit from a (technical)English language discussion.

Clear Skies,
    Gert

• I think this software is really amazing, and we should tolerate an exception in this special case to give Larry a chance to report on the progress he is making.

Hartwig

• Hallo Hartwig,

Wenn Larry keine andere Moeglichkeit hat, kann eine Ausnahme OK sein. Dann aber die Bitte an die Teilnehmer die zweisprachig sind ihre Beitraege auch in Deutsch / zweisprachig zu verfassen, damit die Allgemeinheit der Diskussion folgen kann.

If Larry has no other option and has no other means of showing his work an exception might be OK. The call goes to the other participants to post in German or bilingual to allow the reader to follow the discussion.

Clear skies,
    Gert

• I think this application can became a good colaboration tool for amateur astronomers world wide - that is why I posted here as well.
    Ok, I will keep messages here short - just the updates and maybe from time to time I will ask for feedback. I will also try to have this translated in german. For detail talk there is a forum on the Unimap site.
    ---
    Ich denke, diese Anwendung wurde ein guter Mitarbeit Werkzeug für Hobby-Astronomen weltweit - das ist, warum ich hier gepostet, wie gut.
    Ok, ich werde hier Nachrichten kurz zu halten - nur die Aktualisierungen und vielleicht von Zeit zu Zeit habe ich für Feedback fragen. Ich werde auch versuchen, diese in Deutsch übersetzt. Für Einzelheiten zu sprechen gibt es ein Forum auf der Website UniMap.

Larry

• A new update has been released with:

- updated the star common names list with a better one
    - added extension files one and two to tycho2
    - added map for common names with tycho2
    - fixed 2mass catalog names display error
    - fixed show/hide all objects from menu-&gt;view objects
    - fixed search in spiral - which is now set default as it's faster (instead of swipe)
    - added a simple method to check/notify on updates
    - some other minor bug fixes

---

Ein neues Update ist erschienen mit:

- Aktualisierung der gemeinsamen Sterne Namensliste mit einem besseren
    - Erweiterung hinzugefügt Dateien eins und zwei zu tycho2
    - Hinzugefügt Karte für gemeinsamen Namen mit tycho2
    - Behoben: 2MASS Katalog Namen Anzeigefehler
    - Behoben: show / alle Objekte aus dem Menü-&gt; View-Objekte ausblenden
    - Behoben: Suche in Spirale - die jetzt standardmäßig eingestellt ist, wie es ist schneller (anstelle von Swipe)
    - Hat eine einfache Methode zu überprüfen, von Updates benachrichtigen
    - Einige weitere kleinere Bugfixes

Larry

• Hi Larry,
    seems to be a great project. At night I will install your software.

Sieht dufte aus, abends tue ich die Weichware auf den Rechner!

Bye/Gruss
    Matthias

• I am wondering if people here find this application useful? At the concept level what do you think I should change/add to improve it?
    ---
    Haben die Menschen hier diese Anwendung sinnvoll? Bei dem Konzept-Ebene, was denkst du sollte ich ändern, hinzuzufügen, um es zu verbessern?

• Hi Larry!

Awesome project. If you plan to really release as open source, and if you need an OS X version, I may be able to help. I develop software for Linux and OS X at work.

CS,

Arne

• Thank you Arne! Yes I will need as much help as possible as I am very short on free time and this is a reasonable big project.
    As soon as I will get the time to setup a repository with the source code I will let you know and we will work to port it to oxs/linux.

I have also added two small video tutorials (basic) here:

http://larryo.org/work/information/unimap/support.html

I am not sure if this format is ok, feedback will help before I go on to make more and better tutorials.

Larry

• Good. You can find my Email address at my homepage, for which a link is on my profile page. Please use that to contact me. I am also short on free time, but if everyone can chip in a little bit, this might work. :) If you go open source, using github, gitourious or something similar might do the trick, since it's free for OSS projects. Plus git has the advantage that it allows distributed development.

CS,

Arne

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!