Autoguiding selection criteria

• Dear All,

Can you please share guidance on the most important selection criteria for autoguiding techniques for a 1500 mm focal length / 127 mm aperture MAK telescope?

I'm aware of the OAG and 'classical' technique in theory, but curious if there is maybe any rule of thumb that applies for long FL telescopes for instance.

Is there any exclusion criteria why not to go for OAG if it is cheaper and provides less load on the mount?

thank you in advance,

Peter

• Hi Peter,

I don't know much about the theory of guiding ("subpixel-guiding, etc..), the mechanics behind it or any rule of thumb - in that case I won't be of any help.

Still, I can report from my experiance.

When I had started astrophotography, I had just purchased a cheap guidescope without thinking a lot about it.

I currently use a cheap 60mm guidescope together with a ZWO ASI 120MM mini mono-camera for my C11 (280mm aperture, 2800mm FL) and I get pretty decent guiding-results.

I have found a discussion in the "neigbouring forum" where they talk about the advantages and disadvantages of an OAG for a telescope like yours.

The conclusion of that talk is the recommendation of a guidescope and camera pretty simular to what I use.

So long, Jochen

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!