Looking for an astronomy club in English.

• Hello, I'm new here in Germany and I don't speak German Yet. I'm taking classes but not even close to having a chat yet. I'm looking for an Astronomy club in Hamburg preferable in English, at least for a while. If anyone knows any group that I could join I would be much appreciated

• Hello Julian,

Welcome in Germany! :)

I am afraid you won't find a special club like this. At least i cannot imagine. Not even taking world's current problems into account... Most of the Clubs are to find in southern Germany,but not a single one is English in particular as far as i know. Maybe it's worth a try to contact the Hamburg Observatory.

As long as your German has no proper level just also feel free to use this forum in English meanwhile for any kind of astronomical needs of yours.

Clear skies!

Norman

• Hi Julian,

many Germans can speak english, but finding an english speaking astronomy club will be difficult. There is, for example, an english astronomy group on Facebook called "UK astronomy" which deals with beginners, and is open for members outside UK as well. While this could help you, you may help more local help using our forum or checking out local astronomy clubs. But it all depends on how many members of those clubs speak english.

(By the way, I am German living in the UK, so technically the opposite problem for all I can speak both languages).

• Hello Julian,

welcome to Germany and Hamburg,

I‘m from Itzehoe, about 60km away from Hamburg. But I know a bit about the clubs and meetings there. Right now all meetings are suspended due to COVID. But Zoom meetings are happening. There is a large Astronomy Club (the GvA with a small observatory south of HH) and a big observatory in Bergedorf. And some smaller regular meetings, as can be seen on our map. But none of them have dedicated english-speaking groups. But you would surely meet enough people capable of talking to you in english on any of the meetings. And the people there are very welcoming. :)

The GvA:

GvA-Hamburg

I‘m moving this thread to the „Kontakte & Treffen“ section of the forum. That‘s „contacts & meetings“. Maybe you‘ll get some more information there.

See you:

Marcus

16" f/4 Dobson, 6" f/5 Dobson, C8, 60/360 Apo, 70/700 PST-Mod "Sunlux"

Zeige mir einen Dobson und ich zeige Dir eine Baustelle

• Hello guys, I really appreciated all answers and tips. I'm a Brazilian guy living in Bergedorf, and I know about the big observatory they have, I went there a couple of times, but I've gone always on weekends or summer evenings, just to look around. I have never approached anyone there because I always thought that centre belonged to the University, and when I went there never met anyone from the observatory anyway. But I will look closely at their website as well as the one Marcus mentioned, The Gva. I will subscribe also to the facebook page UK Astronomy JSchmoll mentioned.

Thank you all of you, please if you have any further tip, don't hesitate to let me know.

• Hi Juliano,

the observatory in Bergedorf indeed belongs to the university, so you're not wrong about that. There are guided tours and stargazing nights for the general public, and amateurs are involved. An association organises public talks, and there is even an annual star party event. But first of all, this is a research institute (although especially the older telescopes are no longer used for research). Amateurs from the area meet regularly at BeLaMi, you might want to get in touch with RuedigerH for more info.

Best regards

Carolin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!